Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Summer Reading List, part 2

Don’t think that I stopped there.  Given my new Kindle (Thanks, mom!), I have become voracious again with my reading.  (Is there a adjective for reading that is stronger than ‘voracious’? I would use it).  It’s like I am on a reading binge.

Please don’t take this as a boast.  But here’s what I’ve consumed so far, and yes, I read each one of these reports, and this one book (which I had to buy as a paper copy at Barnes and Noble.  What’s the budget for Middle States goals?)


DeLeon, A. G. (2002).  The urban high school’s challenge: Ensuring literacy for every childNew York, NY: Carnegie Corporation of New York.     pdf version here

Lee, C.D., Spratley, A.  (2010).  Reading in the disciplines: The challenges of adolescent literacyNew York, NY: Carnegie Corporation of New York.     pdf version here

Graham, S. and Hebert, M.  (2010).  Writing to read: Evidence for how writing can improve reading.  New York, NY:  Carnegie Corporation of New York.    pdf version here

Kamil, M.  (2003).  Adolescents and literacy: Reading for the 21st centuryWashington, DCAlliance for Excellent Education.   pdf version here

Kane, T.  et al.  (2011, Summer).  Evaluating teacher effectiveness.  Education Next,  55-60.   pdf version here

Schwerdt, G. and Wuppermann, A.  (2011, Summer).   Sage on the stage: is lecturing really all that bad?  Education Next,  63-67.     pdf version here

Tovani, C.  (2000).  I read, but I don’t get it: Comprehension strategies for adolescent readersPortland, ME: Stenhouse Publishers.   (I bought the physical book $20.)

Jenkins, H.  (2009).  Confronting the challenges of participatory Culture: Media education for the 21st centuryBoston, MA: MIT Press.  Kindle edition.

Davidson, C. and Goldberg, D.T.  (2009).  The future of learning institutions in a digital age.  Boston, MA: MIT Press.  Kindle edition.


As you can see, I’ve been doing a lot of reading.  These last three weeks have been fantastic!  (Please check my APA citations.  I think I got it right.)

I’ve provided the links to the pdf versions, which are free and easy to download.  The reports from the Carnegie Corporation and from the Alliance for Excellent Education are relatively short, the longest being 62 pages; but so as not to put you off to the task:  as scholarly reports, several pages at the end are Works Cited/References, and also appendices that describe methodology or background information.  So I invite you to take a look at some of these reports.  They will definitely inform our work with the Critical Reading Committee at SBP.

Good summer!  Mine already is.

P.S.  I’ve also been doing a lot of recreational reading, thanks to my Kindle.  I read about Ben Hogan’s miraculous win at the 1950 U.S. Open, a humorous but enlightening book called Why Math Isn’t an Awful Nerd, and I’ve started the difficult chapters of Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are.  All these books I get free on the Amazon website.  Have I told you that I love my Kindle?  (Thanks, mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment